Friday, May 22, 2009

So Far...

Greetings from Keystone, South Dakota! This trip has been great so far. The kids are great (especially Liv) and I've been keeping my cool with a lot of help from the parents.

Our first night we spent in Midway, Utah which is a cute Bavarian town next to Heber City. We arrived in time to watch Night at the Museum in the room and then off to bed. The boys were excited since they had their own room complete with a funny cat statue (which had to be removed later because their glowing eyes were staring at Ryan).

Next morning we were off to Wyoming. First stop Fort Bridger which was a major stop on the Oregon Trail. It was interesting to see and in beautiful country with meadows and flowers all around!

We headed to Martin's Cove to camp for the night. Yes I said camp. All I can say is Wyoming sure is windy! We all thought Ryan got his wish that he got to see a tornado! The boys were great! Luv had one freak out for about 2 minutes an Drew had to roll all over in his sleep and since those were the only problems I'd say we are doing well.

After camping we were off to Mount Rushmore! It's a fun drive with lots of wildlife to see including cows, horses, deer, antelope, prarie dogs, buffalo, and a lot of road kill (that was mom's input). Not many towns to stop and see but our good GPS friend Emily led us through a cute little town called Hot Springs, SD. We are coming back someday and I'd love to explore!

Off to Mount Rushmore! The drive is beautiful up through tree lined mountains and prarie dog infested hills. For some reason I thought it would be in the middle of a mountain range but to my surprise it was a big granite rock in the middle of some pine trees. It was smaller than I thought at first glance but once we took the trail closer it was stunning! Our hotel is 2 miles away so we drove by last night and it didn't even look like the same mountain! Pictures to come.

Now we are off to Lincoln, Nebraska to stay with Mike and Miwa and go to Wicked. I'm excited for the next leg of our adventure!

2 comments:

Michelle and those Kids said...

oh you are such a brave little momma! glad that you are enjoying it! I went to a funeral in wyoming in the winter and my mom wouldn't let us actually go to the grave site because the wind made it like -40 and so we had to stay in a coffee shop by ourselves with weird old men that sat there all day drinking coffee and chain smoking. ha! anyway, It is always windy! definitely need pictures!!! come on megan! :)

Mrs. Lay said...

That's funny about the statue. Glad you're having fun! Thank goodness for grandparents. Lol